Re: should we ship iceweasel (firefox) on the first cd?

On Friday 02 March 2007, Halvor Dahl wrote:
> cobaco (aka Bart Cornelis) wrote:
> > On Friday 02 March 2007, Halvor Dahl wrote:
> >> I agree.  There is no need wasting space for iceweasel on the first CD
> >> because people will probably install Firefox from Mozilla anyway.
> >
> > that's like saying you won't use generic drugs only the brand name
> > equivalents. Even though the only difference (often up to and including
> > where they are manufactered) is the box they're wrapped in.
>
> You are completely missing the point.

No i'm not it's the exact same problem of paying more then something is
worth in order to get a simple brand name.

(giving up a core principle definately counts as paying)

> The battle is about getting schools to use open source software in the
> first place.  That is their call and we have to convince them that the
> software is useful, user-friendly and that it will not break.  Well-known
> brand names is extremely important when trying to establish that kind of
> confidence.
>
> >> The Debian camp could really need a basic course in commercial
> >> thinking when they believe they can afford to lose a brand name like
> >> Firefox.

Well here's some commercial thinking 101: focus on your strengths not your
weaknesses when pitching your product.

So get the conversion to go something like the following:

Q: What browser are you using?