Re: should we ship iceweasel (firefox) on the first cd?

On Fri, 2007-03-02 at 17:10 +0100, Halvor Dahl wrote:
> cobaco (aka Bart Cornelis) wrote:

> > Debian really didn't have any choice in this case, Mozilla didn't grant us
> > the right to use the firefox name, and won't unless we give up the right to
> > fix things when they break. Since that's one of the core principles layed
> > out in the foundation documents of Debian (such as the debian free software
> > guidelines), there's nothing we can do about it.
>
> How about a more pragmatic approach to the issue?  How about making
> exceptions to be able to use the brand name?

 How about acknowledging that your suggestion does not strike the
people involved in the Debian project as the most pragmatic one?

 Debian's choice _is_ the pragmatic approach.  The plea to jump
through hoops and introduce extra work at the Mozilla foundation's
behest to keep a name and an icon is the extreme position, like it
or not.

--
 Herman Robak