Re: kursdok

Hi,

since July I had this on "reminder", and today, as I have to write something
about kursdok again (another mail after this), I decided I should answer here
first.

On Wednesday 18 July 2007 00:28, Knut Yrvin wrote:
> Tirsdag 17 juli 2007 22:30, skrev Holger Levsen:
> > .. I think you / we / the norwegian government is on a wrong track or
> > throwing money out of the window, by founding the ITIL book (as it
> > is), which is written in norwegian instead of english.
>
> I don't think you really understand why native languages has great
> importance for pupils in schools, also the school authorities. I
> perceive that your right in what you are implying, getting ITIL doc
> translated to English. But you got a hell of a bad way of presenting
> it, stepping right into the wasp nest of langauges. So please bear with
> me.

I really and still think you're insulting, when you say I don't understand
that+why native languages has great importance for pupils in schools.
(But I take it you didnt want to insult me, just describe how you perceive
me.)

And I agree, that my wording missed a smiley or an explaination. Of course,
it's useful to fund writing a document in $local_language. What I ment, was
that you might get more out of your money if you invest writing that document
in english.

This thread has not been about pupils in schools, but about the documentation
of debian edu, which is read by teachers and administrators in schools, not
pupils.

And surely, there are many teachers in the world, who only speak
$local_language(s). So obviously, having Debian Edu documentation in
$local_languages is a must.

But, I strongly believe that we, the Debian Edu project, must not develop this
documentation in any other language then english. (The argument that more
people speak $whatever as a _first_ language is bogus, as the most spoken
language in the world is bad_english and english is the lingua franca (!) of
the internet.)

And, let me say this, I'm also very happy about any documentation in any
language. It's good. It's also _great_ if someone sponsors some documentation
or other work. I just think that we, as a volunteer project, should use _our_
resources wisely and maybe sometimes point sponsors to what contributions are
most useful in the long run.

On Sunday 09 September 2007 22:57, Kurt Gramlich wrote:
> In January 2006 we agreed to start with wikis in different
> languages to make it easy, to join the project. As i see, this
> still works in Germany.

This decision was somewhat changed when sometime in 2007 it was decided to
rebuild www.skolelinux.org as a portal for all languages.

Also, I dont think the decision or maybe the practice of setting up one wiki
per country is wise. I think it's a waste of "ressources" (people need to
maintain the machines, the wiki, fight spam, etc), and it's much better to
use one wiki, localised.

Think wiki.debian.org/DebianEdu/de/ instead of wiki.skolelinux.de :-)

And www.skolelinux.org/de instead of www.skolelinux.de

> What we now need, is to coordinate the information flow
> internationaly. So i ask for volunters to help with translation:
>
> Norwegian to German, English to German (easy), German to English,
> German to French and now getting important: Spanisch to German.

You're forgetting german to spanish, spanish to english, spanish to french,
french to german, french to spanish, french to norwegian, norwegian to
french, norwegian to spanish, spanish to norwegian, german to norwegian.

And italian, dutch, portuguese, japanese and a bunch of other languages.

The problem is, translators often cannot translate two ways, for example, in a
year I might be able to translate from spanish to german, but it will take me
much longer to be able to translate from german to spanish.

If we write documents in english, we (well, most of us, hello vegrant and
others) have to write them in our second language, (but) which is our
communication and development language anyway, which we use daily. But, the
result can be translated by _much_ more people, as if Lior would decide to
write documentation in hebrew.

So it might be a bit harder, to write it in english (second language is harder
than first), but the result is immediatly available to all (developers and
translators).

regards,
	Holger