Re: Please test multi-arch DVD

On Tue, Jun 12, 2007 at 08:35:48AM +0200, Petter Reinholdtsen wrote:
> Last night, thanks to a patch from Daniel Hess, I activated a new kind
> of DVD build for Debian Edu/Etch.  It is a i386+amd64+powerpc
> multiarch DVD.
...snip...
> I am interested to know if it boot on i386, amd64 and powerpc.  There
> might be a slight problem with the amd64 build, for those that want a
> 32-bit LTSP chroot.  The default will install a 64-bit chroot.
> Someone need to figure out how we best should solve it.

ok, this could be used to fix the issue:

on the thin client server, add a new plugin,
/usr/share/ltsp/plugins/ltsp-build-client/Debian/000-arch-detection:

case $MODE in
  configure)
    ARCH=${ARCH:-"$(dpkg --print-architecture)"}
    # force building an i386 environment on amd64 servers
    if [ "$ARCH' = "amd64" ]; then
      ARCH=i386
    fi
  ;;
esac

this would not handle the case where you have an amd64-only CD/DVD very
well at all, but should handle true network installs and multi-arch DVD
installs fine(as long as i386 packages are present on the DVD or network
mirror). it's not a very intrusive change, and i think is probably the
default behavior people will want.

this plugin would have to be added before ltsp-client-builder udeb is
run.  we could simply include it in the ltsp-server packages built for
debian-edu for etch, since we're already maintaining a few
customizations already. or debian-edu can include that plugin in another
debian-edu package.

live well,
  vagrant