Re: new category for menu specs of freedesktop

Hi all,

GNOME guys seem to use metapackets for defining different profiles (I'm not a
GNOME expert). In KDE we can use kiosk mode to define different profiles. It
is a different approach. If I define a metapacket for each profile, this
category problem I agree is not so critical. With a KDE approach it is. We
need to define a category that allow us to differentiate between an app for a
12-14 year old kid and another one for a 6-8 year old one. I agree with Dario
that the border line is gray but the areas:

1.- until 8 years old
2.- From 12 years old

are clear.

Since we undestand that our point of view requires more discussion, we prefer
to begin promoting this category for elementary grade (little kids) and open
a disccussion about the rest. It is obvious that using one desktop or the
other gives a different point of view. Also if we are from the same country,
and we have different vision of the problem, it is an example that this is a
problem with a tricky solution. Specs cannot fit everybody's needs but I
think they can be better.

At this point we should concentrate in what we agree on. For the first time
people that are developing desktop for kids are discussing specific stuff.
Since we know others will come across problems we have faced, lets solve the
biggest ones by beggining a collaboration.

So the question is, do we agree that we need a category for little kids in the
Education category? JL Redrejo and I agree. What do you guys think?

Should we open the discussion to other categories? Since we have a different
approach, I believe it is better to open the discussion after we listen to
what Freedesktop have to say. If they don't agree with us even in the
category we want to introduce, the following discussion is useless.

Since Linex guys have experience in desktop for kids and we are beginning to
have it, and since it is a new area in development and not satisfied before,
we are really interested in keep talking about things related with desktop
for little kids.

Bye

--
Agustín Benito Bethencourt
Director de Ejercicios Resueltos SLU (Grupo CPD)