Re: Notes on getting hotplug devices (USB sticks) to work in Debian Edu

El sáb, 05-05-2007 a las 14:30 +0200, Petter Reinholdtsen escribió:
> [José L. Redrejo Rodríguez]
> > I guess both reasons are refered only to systems using thin clients
> > systems. For networked workstations I don't see they apply, or do they?
>
> Actually, the arguments are for networked workstations, not thin
> clients.  Thin clients have a different approach.  For networked
> workstations in a large installation, say 2000 machines and 50000
> users, it is not possible to put 50000 users in the plugdev group
> (neither OpenLDAP, NIS nor /etc/group will work properly with that
> many members in the group),

Ok, I agree on that, but in LinEx our biggest numbers are around 1000
workstation with 2000 users per network. They are still far away from
your calulations, and are working fine since september. And, obviously,
that's the worst case, most schools don't have more than 700 computers
and 1000 users.. , so , do you have networks with such size  (2000
machines & 50000 users)?,
If not, I don't see any reason to worry for a new setup different than
the current Debian aproach.

> and you do not want to give all 50000
> users access to other users hotplugged devices on any of the 2000
> machines. :)

That's something I don't understand. Let's say user1 & user2 are in the
plugdev group, using different machines. If user1 insert a DVD or an USB
disk, he has full access to the DVD or disk, but user2 only have read
access to user1 hotplugged device. I don't see any problem with that
behaviour ...

> You want the user in front of the computer to have access to his local
> device, and only that. :)

But I don't see how user2 can access to remote device on workstation of
user1 with the current setup, unless it's shared using the network.

> Friendly,
> --

Regards,
José L.