Re: Notes on getting hotplug devices (USB sticks) to work in Debian Edu

[José L. Redrejo Rodríguez]
> I guess both reasons are refered only to systems using thin clients
> systems. For networked workstations I don't see they apply, or do they?

Actually, the arguments are for networked workstations, not thin
clients.  Thin clients have a different approach.  For networked
workstations in a large installation, say 2000 machines and 50000
users, it is not possible to put 50000 users in the plugdev group
(neither OpenLDAP, NIS nor /etc/group will work properly with that
many members in the group), and you do not want to give all 50000
users access to other users hotplugged devices on any of the 2000
machines. :)

You want the user in front of the computer to have access to his local
device, and only that. :)

Friendly,