Re: Any way to make gcompris use less space on the CD?

På Fri, 18 Aug 2006 19:49:05 +0200, skrev RalfGesellensetter <rgx@gmx.de>:

Am Freitag 18 August 2006 17:46 schrieb Aigars Mahinovs:
Also cutting, for example, background music to a new
gcompis-data-extra package that would not be on the CD might be
reasonable (one could also include high quality sounds and images
there).

Hi, I agree,

yet another option - as gcompris is rather worthless at secondary
schools - would be to do the cut now and offer two different versions:
Skolelinux-primary (w/o ooo) and Skolelinux-secondary (w/o gcompris)

Why without ooo? At the primary schools in Nittedal (7 in number), ooo is used a lot, and the pupils even seem to like it. I don't see the reason to first learn some other office application, and then change to openoffice later. (Allthough i agree that the pupils adapt quickly when migrating from one office application to another.)

Koffice is also used, and reported via popcon, but that is more or less based on the fact that the teachers and the pupils don't know what programs to use for what purpose. The latter is mostly because there are (IMHO) too many programs to choose from, from the menu, doing the same thing (as ooo and koffice). Some pupils even use kwrite, and belive this is the best office application linux can come up with. ("Microsoft office is much better...!")

So even though popcon reports some popularity for koffice, it might just be because it is chosen "by accident".

In my opinion it is not the end of the world if i have to use 2 cd's to install either, or a dvd, or even run a third stage of installation over the Internet.

We then could introduce add-on-CDs (like the French use) to allow
installation of both branches.

Just a thought.
Regards
Ralf.