Re: FreeJava + TomCat Server?

Mandag 17 juli 2006 18:23, skrev RalfGesellensetter:
> 1. Running TomCat with FreeJava could be a proof of concept, advertising
> the FreeJava idea.

eWeek recently did a test[1] on different application server stacks
with LAMP, WAMP, J2EE and .NET. One of the main conclusion is to do
test and do the necessary performance tuning[2]. And applications
servers needs memory.

1. http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1895,1983364,00.asp
2. http://www.linux-watch.com/news/NS6492047053.html

> 2. Security, Performance and Scalability are said to be advantages with
> Servlets. The current situation is anyway not optimal in terms of sec.

Says who?

It's a fact that J2EE environment as JBoss/Tomcat or that one from Sun
Microsystem is built on top of Java, has a built in security by
design, if you turn it on. By using the right patterns (patterns is
the a kind of best practice of programing). The standard pattern you
should use on with servlet is a Model View Controller (MVC)[3], and
focusing on that you got the right certificates and such.

3. http://java.sun.com/developer/technicalArticles/J2EE/despat/

Handeling of security issues is also doable with other free software stacks
as LAMP (Linux, Apache, MySQL, and Perl/Phyton/PHP).

When it comes to scalability is there more than enough scalablility for
standard usage. Most of the busninesses bay to expensive servers. They
should by less server power and a bit more memory (as in RAM), and
everythings runs smoth enough. Remember, it's not likely that you will be
slashdoted :), and the performance on every stack is good enough at any
stack as the performance test in eweek shows.

> 3. Java developers can contribute to projects such as our school
> database and the Linuxsignpost.

If you really want to learn something, and not be fiddling with all
the nifty gritty details, you should look at Ruby[4]. That "language"
has many language bidings, one of them to KDE[5].

So what you should do is to focus on learning. Ruby gives a high level
human approach to programming, and you need to code less. Servlets is
just to complicated for ordinary pupils that are 14-15 years old. The
will have results now, not using days just putting up the
infrastructure.

4. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ruby_programming_language
5. http://developer.kde.org/language-bindings/ruby/index.html

So I suggest for you to decide what you want. To learn to make
programs for humans, or to get into the nifty gritty security issues
before, that often are a built in feature in a modern application
stack. A thing that should be focused on, but probably at stage 2 :)

- K