Re: FreeJava + TomCat Server?

On 18:23 Mon 17 Jul     , RalfGesellensetter wrote:
> Dear List,
Hi,

> back from Greece (hello from Manos, Mike and Hara for those who met them
> at Nafplion), I hope that you are all having a nice summer time!
>
> While getting into PHP and MySql, I wonder if in the long run, some of
> our dynamic web pages could be done with Java Servlets. There might be
> several objections now, including the question of how to install TomCat
> on developer. Some pros might be:
>
> 1. Running TomCat with FreeJava could be a proof of concept, advertising
> the FreeJava idea.
> 2. Security, Performance and Scalability are said to be advantages with
> Servlets. The current situation is anyway not optimal in terms of sec.
> 3. Java developers can contribute to projects such as our school
> database and the Linuxsignpost.

I have done some projects with Java servlet/applet/Jsp on a Tomcat server.

The main problem his that this server needs a lot of memory and doesn't manage
very well the memory. You must restart this server 1 time per week to free the
memory :(. But it's true, with this kind of programming you can secure very well
your application.

In term of performance and stability, this server is not good enough I think.

Friendly,
  ,''`.  Xavier Oswald <x.oswald@free.fr>
 : :' :  GNU/LINUX Debian & Debian-Edu
 `. `'   GnuPG Key ID 0x88BBB51E
   `-    938D D715 6915 8860 9679  4A0C A430 C6AA 88BB B51E