Re: user administration tool for Debian-Edu/Skolelinux (was Small Report of Dev WE in France 18-19/03 – Work on user administration tool)

2006/3/23, Steffen Joeris <Steffen.Joeris@skolelinux.de>:
Hi All

On Wednesday 22 March 2006 14:40, Thierry STAUDER wrote:
> In Erkelenz a group of developers wanted to work on a user administration
> tool. This group is formed by: Christian Kuelker, Benjamin Sonntag, Thomas
> Courbeil, Xavier Oswald, Jean Charles Siegel … Sorry if I forgot somebody.

> If you want to watch some pictures of this Week end :
> http://photos.skolelinux.fr/WE_dev_mars_06/olivier/20060319/
It was a nice meeting and i felt that i was warmly welcome and i really enjoy
to visit you all in france, thanks you :)

> The idea was to use the very good work made by Christian Kuelker with
> CiPux. Cipux is a whole of very powerful Perl scripts which makes it
> possible to manage LDAP.
Well in general we need to discuss which way we want to go.
I think this will also be a topic for the next IRC meeting, but some
communication progress should be done here over the ML.

We should think about:
Which way we want to go?
Which kind of tool we want to provide and for which purposes it should be and
what we expect from it?
Who will permanently work on it?
In which way we will integrate something easily and keep it always up to date?

I think that everybody in the project, has to know about the work being done at the moment, and that every good idea or suggestions is welcomed. But, in the same time, I would disagree if we just forgot the discussions we had Erkelenz on this subject

The proposition of the group who is working is to obtain:
- A tool very user friendly
- A tool which can be used without root access
- A tool which can be used in several environements, and at first abble to be used in Moodle.

These and many more questions has to be answered and I guess there is
currently no real communication process and a small statement from everyone
would be nice to get an overview of where we want to go ...

> You can find the results of the discussion in Erkelenz here:
> http://wiki.skolelinux.fr/CipuxDefinition
Sorry I can't understand french :(

You just went to quickly on this page,  it's in french and in english ;)

> This work is a first result from the collaboration started between the
> French and German team and of course everybody must feel free to join this
> work even if he's not French or German ;)
I guess we need a solution for all and this solution should be part of the
Debian-Edu/Skolelinux distribution.

Greetings
Steffen

--