Re: Simplifying skolelinux.org as a showcase

On Sun, Mar 12, 2006 at 09:59:39PM +0100, Knut Yrvin wrote:

> Here it is, the mockup of a showcase Skolelinux/Debian_Edu presentation
> site:
>
> http://developer.skolelinux.no/~knuty/skolelinux_mockup.jpg
>
> Do we need changes, and how should this site look like? Let the
> discussion begin :-).

The discussion about the skolelinux.org website has in my eyes already
been finished on this mailinglist (debian-edu@lists.debian.org) with
the conclusion that we should redirect all skolelinux.org-pages to
http://wiki.debian.org/DebianEdu.

> Oh, the idea behind this design come from Halvor Dahls brother, a
> university professor. He showed us the www.koha.org website. The mockup
> is made by Alex Brasetvik.
>
> * Background
>
> A lot of progress is done lately to improve the workflow in the
> Skolelinux/Debian Edu project. The wiki.debian.org/DebianEdu taking
> form. The irc-meetings for developers as far I can see is a
> success. On the project leader meeting at Erkelenz we agreed on that a
> showcase web was needed.
>
> The main goal is to help decision makers to choose
> Skolelinux/Debian_Edu. The showcase should be a well designed
> web-pages informing about Skolelinux as a product and give examples
> and answer to questions. The users can be teachers, admins, local
> government and decision makers. Also some pages for pupils will be
> nice that many ask for using computer programs used at their local
> school to their home assignment. Then we should get them easy access
> and guides to free software to use at home.

So why doesn't http://wiki.debian.org/DebianEdu fit this purpose? In
my opinion the front-page can be edited to fit the purpose you
describe (not as sexy, but still).

> Since the project meeting in Erkelenz I've pointed out to Markus
> Gamenius that it was 12 months ago we planed to improve the
> skolelinux.org as a multilingual showcase promoting
> Skolelinux/Debian_Edu.  The board in "Free Software in Schools" had
> also donated some compensation to Alex Brasetvik for some initially
> training learning eZ publish.  Alex are studying at The Norwegian
> University of Science and Technology, and working with rolling out web
> publishing systems for LinuxLabs.  He is already overbooked. So Markus
> at LinuxLabs are helping out, and Alex can to this job without other
> assignment coming his way.

So this new skolelinux.org-website you propose, Alex should be paid
for creating it? What technology should it be based on? Who shall be
responsible for updating it?

I still think we shall stick to http://wiki.debian.org/DebianEdu as
our one and only international website. Earlier we have proven with
the multiple tries on creating a skolelinux.org-website that we don't
have manpower to maintain this .. and I don't think the"Free software
in schools"-organization in Norway have any money left spending on
creating nor maintaining a website.

Please followup to debian-edu@lists.debian.org only.

- Werner