Re: How many debian pakcage maintainers do we have to thank?

* Petter Reinholdtsen <pere@hungry.com> [050722 10:13]:

> During the debconf5 Debian Derivatives roundtable discussion,
> <URL:http://dc5video.debian.net/2005-07-11/03-Debian_Derivatives_Panel-Benjamin_Mako_Hill.mpeg>,
> an idea came up to notify all the debian maintainers of the packages
> used by derivatives, and let them know we are proudly using their
> packages.
>
> Kurt Gramlich started to have a look at this during debconf5, but I am
> not sure how far he got.
i am still working on the huge amount of contacts from debconf5
;-)

> Curious on how many people this could represent, I just ran a simple
> script trying to find out.  As I was running this on a woody
> installatin, I used the list of packages on the woody CD, and the
> maintainers of the woody package as the base for the list.
>
>   ( for p in `cat pkgdeblist.txt|cut -d_ -f1`; do
>      grep-dctrl -s maintainer,uploaders,package \
>      -F package "$p" /var/lib/dpkg/status
>   done ) > /tmp/maintainers.txt&
>   egrep 'maintainer|uploaders' /tmp/maintainers.txt |cut -d: -f2|sort -u|wc -l
>
> The final number I came up with is 240 unique mail addresses for
> woody.  There seem to be some duplicates as I look breafly at the
> addresses. We should throw them all a big party to thank them. :)

thanks. this helps to build up good contacts ;-)

Regards/AmicaLinuxement/Viele Gruesse!
Kurt Gramlich
--
kurt@skolelinux.de