Re: How many debian pakcage maintainers do we have to thank?

Petter Reinholdtsen wrote:
> During the debconf5 Debian Derivatives roundtable discussion,
> <URL:http://dc5video.debian.net/2005-07-11/03-Debian_Derivatives_Panel-Benjamin_Mako_Hill.mpeg>,
> an idea came up to notify all the debian maintainers of the packages
> used by derivatives, and let them know we are proudly using their
> packages.
>
> Kurt Gramlich started to have a look at this during debconf5, but I am
> not sure how far he got.
>
> Curious on how many people this could represent, I just ran a simple
> script trying to find out.  As I was running this on a woody
> installatin, I used the list of packages on the woody CD, and the
> maintainers of the woody package as the base for the list.
>
>   ( for p in `cat pkgdeblist.txt|cut -d_ -f1`; do
>      grep-dctrl -s maintainer,uploaders,package \
>      -F package "$p" /var/lib/dpkg/status
>   done ) > /tmp/maintainers.txt&
>   egrep 'maintainer|uploaders' /tmp/maintainers.txt |cut -d: -f2|sort -u|wc -l
>
> The final number I came up with is 240 unique mail addresses for
> woody.  There seem to be some duplicates as I look breafly at the
> addresses. We should throw them all a big party to thank them. :)

An also explain to them that we are actually using the debian-packages,
unmodified, and not repackaged like other derivatives maybe does.

Of course, we should also thank those were we do have repackaged the
packages, and were maybe tell them why we've done that.
For Sarge, the only package were we've done that for now is the
lessdisks packages.

--
Finn-Arne Johansen
faj@bzz.no http://bzz.no/