How many debian pakcage maintainers do we have to thank?

During the debconf5 Debian Derivatives roundtable discussion,
<URL:http://dc5video.debian.net/2005-07-11/03-Debian_Derivatives_Panel-Benjamin_Mako_Hill.mpeg>,
an idea came up to notify all the debian maintainers of the packages
used by derivatives, and let them know we are proudly using their
packages.

Kurt Gramlich started to have a look at this during debconf5, but I am
not sure how far he got.

Curious on how many people this could represent, I just ran a simple
script trying to find out.  As I was running this on a woody
installatin, I used the list of packages on the woody CD, and the
maintainers of the woody package as the base for the list.

  ( for p in `cat pkgdeblist.txt|cut -d_ -f1`; do
     grep-dctrl -s maintainer,uploaders,package \
     -F package "$p" /var/lib/dpkg/status
  done ) > /tmp/maintainers.txt&
  egrep 'maintainer|uploaders' /tmp/maintainers.txt |cut -d: -f2|sort -u|wc -l

The final number I came up with is 240 unique mail addresses for
woody.  There seem to be some duplicates as I look breafly at the
addresses. We should throw them all a big party to thank them. :)