Re: Debian Edu CD: One per language?

> So, I suggested that we split the Debian-Edu/Skolelinux ISO in one per
> language, after all, since the installations will become
> nation-specific after one point, it will make sense to only include
> the stuff we need there. So we might have a skolelinux-en.iso,
> skolelinux-no.iso, skolelinux-el.iso, etc.

I would strongly discourage that as unpractical in the long run.
Burma alone has quite a few languages by itself.
Not to mention India.
It would be better to make use of an extra extension CDs/DVDs with the needed files.

That Skolelinux would continue to live on a single CD forever is highly unlikely
given the total number of languages on Planet Earth.

Sooner or later a choice must be made.
Several CDs or a DVD - or Both :-)

It is not easy to be a "missionary" some place out in the "forest" and to be lacking the
single only one CDR out of 170 different CDs when giving a "test/demonstration" of Skolelinux :-)

I would like for the people who make the final decision to at least think twice
before committing to a "many" CDs solution.

Perhaps integration with a standard Debian DVD for language files and other software could be possible?
I fear that that the smallest language groups would never have someone skilled enough and available/interested among them
and they would loose out entirely.

A "practical" soulution could be automatic generation of a multiethnic DVD/DVDs at the same time of generating CDs if that could be done.

Greetings
Jim Oksvold