Debian Edu CD: One per language?

Hi all,

  A few days ago I just did our first Debian-Edu/Skolelinux
installation in Greece, here in Nafplion!! At last after lots of
beaurocracy we got the green light to do it! hooray!!

Everything worked out smoothly using finnarne's pr3 sarge-based CD and
we had only little problems (eg. with serial mice configuration on
the thin client side) as far as installation goes. On the other hand,
I noticed that the CD does not include any support for Greek right
now (no l10n/i18n packages whatsoever). After some discussion on irc,
it was made obvious that there is no space on the CD to fit more
l10n/i18n packages, not without removing some other stuff, which I
would not like. On the other hand, the problem will become more
apparent if more languages are to be supported eventually (well, we
ARE after world domination right? :-)

So, I suggested that we split the Debian-Edu/Skolelinux ISO in one per
language, after all, since the installations will become
nation-specific after one point, it will make sense to only include
the stuff we need there. So we might have a skolelinux-en.iso,
skolelinux-no.iso, skolelinux-el.iso, etc.

Just for the l10n files, we will save ~5MB per language, not counting
the OO help files which are huge (~10-15MB ). So still assuming that
out of the 7 languages we go down to 3-4 (since some standard
languages are good to have included anyway), it will save ~15-20MB on
the CD per language (so for 4 languages we save ~45-60MB).
This space might be used for other software, and I'm sure it will be
welcomed :-)

There is also another benefit to this approach. Each CD might have the
language settings in d-i preseeded, so that for example a
skolelinux-no.iso will always start in Norwegian (which flavour
exactly you'll have to decide though :-)
This means less questions for the installations yet!

Just to show I'm not talking bull right now, I've already discussed
this with Petter and Finnarne and I've already started implementing
this. But I need some info from all of you. I'd like to create the
i18n packagelists, and I include the template I used for the
Norwegian CD. If you want you could send it to me to test it. I
wouldn't want to commit anything yet, as I'd like to have it
completed before I mess things up :-)

The process will have to be fully automated, so when the build cd
command is issued it will build CD images for all languages (this
will be a flag obviously, for testing reasons).

So, I'd like to listen to comments, ideas, but most of all I'd like
the i18n-LANG files from you :-)

Regards

Konstantinos
Architecture: any
 This metapackage depends on l10n/i18n packages for Norwegian.

Depends:     koffice-i18n-es, koffice-i18n-de, koffice-i18n-fr, \
             koffice-i18n-nb | koffice-i18n-no, koffice-i18n-nn | koffice-i18n-nony, \
	     koffice-i18n-se
Why:         KDE Office translations
Responsible: ?
NeedConfig:  no

Depends:     kde-i18n-es, kde-i18n-de, kde-i18n-fr, \
             kde-i18n-nb | kde-i18n-no, kde-i18n-nn | kde-i18n-nony, \
             kde-i18n-se
Why:         KDE desktop translations for relevant languages.
Responsible: ? (someone need to check the package list is complete)
NeedConfig:  no

Suggests:    ifrench, ingerman, inorwegian, ispanish
Why:         Dictionaries for languages supported by Skolelinux and
             localization-config.
Responsible: ? (someone need to check that the package list is complete)
NeedConfig:  yes - set default ispell dictionary

Depends:     openoffice.org-l10n-nb, openoffice.org-help-nb, \
             openoffice.org-l10n-nn, openoffice.org-help-nn, \
	     openoffice.org-l10n-de, openoffice.org-help-de, \
             openoffice.org-l10n-fr, openoffice.org-help-fr, \
             openoffice.org-l10n-es, openoffice.org-help-es, \
	     openoffice.org-help-en
Why:         Supplementary OpenOffice.org packages.
Responsible: Gaute Hvoslef Kvalnes
NeedConfig:  no

Depends:     myspell-nb, myspell-nn, myspell-en-us | myspell-en-gb, \
             myspell-de-de | myspell-de-at | myspell-de-ch, myspell-fr, myspell-es
Why:         Spelling checkers for OpenOffice.org
Responsible: Gaute Hvoslef Kvalnes
NeedConfig:  no

Depends:     mozilla-firefox-locale-nb, mozilla-firefox-locale-nn, \
             mozilla-firefox-locale-de, mozilla-firefox-locale-es-es, \
             mozilla-firefox-locale-fr-fr, \
	     mozilla-thunderbird-locale-nb, mozilla-thunderbird-locale-nn, \
	     mozilla-thunderbird-locale-de, mozilla-thunderbird-locale-fr
Why:         Translation packages for Firefox/Thunderbird
Responsible: Finn-Arne Johansen
NeedConfig:  no