Re: Debian Edu CD: One per language?

On Δευτέρα 20 Ιούνιος 2005 21:02, Jim Oksvold wrote:
> > So, I suggested that we split the Debian-Edu/Skolelinux ISO in
> > one per language, after all, since the installations will become
> > nation-specific after one point, it will make sense to only
> > include the stuff we need there. So we might have a
> > skolelinux-en.iso, skolelinux-no.iso, skolelinux-el.iso, etc.
>
> I would strongly discourage that as unpractical in the long run.
> Burma alone has quite a few languages by itself.
> Not to mention India.
> It would be better to make use of an extra extension CDs/DVDs with
> the needed files.

hm, I see your point and you're right. An extention CD sounds more
logical.

> That Skolelinux would continue to live on a single CD forever is
> highly unlikely given the total number of languages on Planet
> Earth.
>
> Sooner or later a choice must be made.
> Several CDs or a DVD - or Both :-)

I still like the 2 CD deal better than DVDs though, as DVD burners are
not that common *still*. And it's easier to get working on old
hardware. But yes, it seems that there has to be a decision soon?

> Perhaps integration with a standard Debian DVD for language files
> and other software could be possible? I fear that that the smallest
> language groups would never have someone skilled enough and
> available/interested among them and they would loose out entirely.

Hm, I never implied that there has to be extra work for this, the CD
creation would be automated and using already existing Debian
packages. If there are enough people interested and provide the
necessary package list for their language, the process would be just
one of inserting a file and an entry in the Makefile.

> A "practical" soulution could be automatic generation of a
> multiethnic DVD/DVDs at the same time of generating CDs if that
> could be done.

if we go for a DVD solution, there is no extra need, all packages
would just be there. But there has to be first a decision for that.

The case I see right now, is that still it makes sense to generate 1
CD/lang because the language list so far is waaay below 170 :-)
And it would mean that some more automation could be done (as stated
earlier language options could be preseeded). On the other hand if
the language list goes >10, it would be too much stress on the
servers/mirrors, and maybe it would be easier to generate just a 2nd
CD with the i18n stuff (but skipping the language automation). I
somehow still feel that a multi-CD solution would be more difficult
to handle for some people, I know I've seen admins looking puzzled
when the installer asks for the 2nd CD :-)

Konstantinos