Re: multilevel configuration

On Monday 20 June 2005 09:42, Geert Stappers wrote:
> What is "multilevel configuration"?

exactly what it says, having multiple configuration levels for example:

- one with the distro default
- one with the CDD changes to the distro default
- one with the administrator changes
- one with user changes

the idea is to separate the settings from each actor into it's own files and
somehow merge between them
(If you look at the various desktops, who support this, the merge is
typically "look at the highest configuration level for a certain config
key, if found use it, if not go to the next configuration level and search
there")

> How will it fit in the debian-edu-configuration[1]?
we already use it for our custom kde-config (such as it is)

the main advantage being that we don't have to mess with other packages
configuration files, i.e. it provides a policy complient way to override
the package defaults
--
cobaco (aka Bart Cornelis):
    Coördinator Belgisch Skolelinux team