Re: LTSP and lessdisks

> > The short answer is that lessdisks demands a bit more memory than LTSP,
> > because LTSP uses swap over NFS.
>
> If you want swap over NFS then make a Debian kernel package with support
> for swap over NFS. It is not provided officially in Debian because it is
> considered too rarely needed for the maintainance burden of an extra
> kernel with the unofficial patch applied.

that is a considerable amount of extra work, though.  i used to maintain
a kernel for lessdisks and dreaded a new kernel release because of the
extra work that meant (i mostly just didn't update it often enough).

so i can understand the appeal of just grabbing a kernel from some other
source. someone could probably build a debian package from the binary LTSP
kernels that would work with lessdisks- obviously you couldn't build it
from source that way, but it would reduce some of the workload.

> So if you consider it a plus that LTSP has a custom-patched kernel then
> I recommend you to use a kernel deriving as little as possible from the
> official Debian ones, and rebuildable with same routines as the Debian
> kernels, instead of relying on an alien distribution for some of the
> Linux kernels in your network.

> > I've tried to set up swap over NBD on
> > lessdisks (0.6.2c i think), and it was not working for more than 1 or 2
> > clients. There was a message that this might have been fixed the other
> > day, but I've been to busy handling some flamewars to check it out :)

this would be good to find out...

> ...and that off course will be even better when it works, because then
> we need only the NBD module unofficially compiled, not a complete kernel.

actually, NBD is part of the standard debian kernel already :)

there are other NBD derivatives that are not in the standard debian
kernel...

> But the old-fashioned approach of LTSP is possible with Lessdisks as
> well, if that is what you want. And much easier to maintain.

definitely.

live well,
  vagrant