Re: LTSP and lessdisks

On 16-06-2005 11:22, Finn-Arne Johansen wrote:
> Markus Gamenius wrote:
>
>>Knut Yrvin wrote:

> The short answer is that lessdisks demands a bit more memory than LTSP,
> because LTSP uses swap over NFS.

If you want swap over NFS then make a Debian kernel package with support
for swap over NFS. It is not provided officially in Debian because it is
considered too rarely needed for the maintainance burden of an extra
kernel with the unofficial patch applied.

So if you consider it a plus that LTSP has a custom-patched kernel then
I recommend you to use a kernel deriving as little as possible from the
official Debian ones, and rebuildable with same routines as the Debian
kernels, instead of relying on an alien distribution for some of the
Linux kernels in your network.

> I've tried to set up swap over NBD on
> lessdisks (0.6.2c i think), and it was not working for more than 1 or 2
> clients. There was a message that this might have been fixed the other
> day, but I've been to busy handling some flamewars to check it out :)

...and that off course will be even better when it works, because then
we need only the NBD module unofficially compiled, not a complete kernel.

But the old-fashioned approach of LTSP is possible with Lessdisks as
well, if that is what you want. And much easier to maintain.

> If I understand Jonas correctly, he hopes to get the lessdisks
> debian-packages upto a newer version, or am I mistaken ?

Yes. Off course!

Why would I *not* want Lessdisks officially upgraded to a newer version?

> I dont think it's easy to upgrade from the debian version availible in
> Sarge (0.5.3cvs.20040906-16) to the one we have in the
> Skolelinux-repositories (0.6.2c), the latest that is defined from
> lessdisks (0.6.2d) or the experimental from upstream (0.7something)

...which is why the official Lessdisks is currently stalled.

Preferrably I want an upgrade path to be found from current official (in
Debian!) package to whatever is chosen to be let in as next official
release, but most importantly I want _next_ release to be upgradeable
(which I believe is not yet properly ensured upstream).

So yes, I want lessdisks upgraded for Debian, but not at all cost.

 - Jonas

- --