Re: Debian-edu/Skolelinux and Edubuntu cooperation

Konstantinos Margaritis wrote:
On Δευτέρα 09 Μάιος 2005 00:54, Halvor Dahl wrote:

Ubuntu may sound like the right answer, but what is the question?
In my opinion, it is "How do we get control over our release
process?" and not "What distro should we chose?".

Fwiw, I strongly oppose jumping overboard to Ubuntu. However little my opinion may matter, I'll just say this. Ubuntu _is_ a commercial product. It may or may not be there in 2 or more years.

This i is why I argue for beeing less distro-centric. This way we will stay whatever happends with Debian, Ubuntu or the others.

However,
Debian is right now one of the longest standing distros _and_ going stronger by the day.

Many people feels that Debian is geting weeker, not stronger. Partly because of developers runing to Ubuntu.

Do we really want to leave that? Sure it has
problems, but that's why it has 1300+ developers. To solve them. I believe that the strongest points of Skolelinux vs the other distros is that it actually _has_ given back to Debian.

I do agree on this, but where will Debian be in the future?

If all we need is newer stuff, then Debian will eventually have it.

But when? Sarge is new to Debian standards, and it will be "new" when it is stable, but not for long. when will Sid be released? In 3 years?

It is wise not to use all the new stuff, but it is not wise to depend on to old stuf either.

personally don't care if I use the latest. Just sth stable and _reasonably_ recent.

Personaly I have tried Ubuntu and Kubuntu. I used for some days and went crasy. I still prefer Woody and Sarge for my computers.

Regards

Markus