Re: choosing software applications

Hi again,

On Thu, 03 Mar 2005, Gavin McCullagh wrote:

[huge snippage]
> In a skolelinux school, I think that means skolelinux making the choice.
> That means making a choice of application for each task and disappearing
> the others.  There are at least two means to achieve this:
[huge snippage]

Okay, I think my view has changed somewhat.  I suspect that my approach has
been incorrect.

My concern is mainly for new users.  I'm helping a school begin with
skolelinux.  To the best of my knowledge, two of them have ever used linux
and not much.  So, everyone's a beginner and everyone could do with a
little simplicity to start with while the migration proceeds.

However, that is not generally the situation.  In a few years, there will
hopefully be a few power users who want all kinds of apps in the menus but
there will still be new beginners too (teachers who come into the school
with no linux experience).  A single menu to suit both is a tough thing to
do.

Would the following be impractical or just a stupid idea:

A second menu on the panel.  This is the recommended ten apps only and is
slick, simple and clear (possibly without even subfolders).  Preferably,
it's in the bottom left corner.  The menu next to it (or even in the bottom
right corner) is the original every installed app menu and when new apps
are installed they go in there.  The default file associations should stick
to these recommended apps where possible.

New users will go to the bottom left corner and get a short list of apps
they need and everyone will start off with the same recommended apps.
Power users will soon gather that the full list is just to the right.
Beginner users may know it's there too but not go to it unless they need
something unusual.

How these apps are chosen remains the hard part.  It sounds like Knut is
way ahead on this.

Gavin