Re: Req.: experiences with standalone profile

Ralf Gesel|ensetter wrote:
Hi Finn-Arne,

thank you for your thorough report - it has answered (nearly) all my questions.

Am Freitag, 4. Februar 2005 09:55 schrieb Finn-Arne Johansen:

Well, you could have done a search on google or gmane for it ?
I tried to search for "skolelinux standalone laptop" on google, and
guess what was the first document I found ?

Thank you for pointing to this gorgeous document (I knew it was there) - however there is one question still open:

[cited from document]

Accordingly, there will also be a need to synchronize user files between laptops and the server installation at school, both to have a

"canonical" place where files are store and to have the assurance of

backup applying to  files residing on the Skolelinux mainserver
('tjener').

the way how to syncronise seems very clear. what is not mentioned is: user accounts. is each laptop thought to be run by one user only - and that will be the one to sync to when connected? Or did I miss the point where laptops sync their user data with ldap?

hmm, were did that word canonical come from ? did I ever write this ?
Ahh - someone else added this, And I guess the meaning of canonical is
correct. :)

But yes - there is supposed to be only one user at the laptop, and this
user should use the same username on the laptop as on the main
installation.

then on the laptop that ralfg is using there exist a sync folder
 /home/ralfg/sync

on the laptop that finnarne is using, there is a folder
 /home/finnarne/sync

and on the main-server (tjener), there is
 /skole/tjener/home0/ralfg/sync
 /skole/tjener/home0/finnarne/sync

then using unison-gtk I'm able to sync the homedirectories.

Thank you for explaining.

Almost always at your service..

Regards to Oslo

Well i live in Grimstad, in southern of Norway  :)

--
Finn-Arne Johansen, faj@bzz.no
http://bzz,no