Re: Fwd: kde localisation after install?

tirsdag 03 august 2004, 10:15, skrev saro3@welho.com:
> Thank you for answering. I forwarded your message to Oulu where one
> school is planning to move over to Skolelinux. I don't know the scale
> but hope to see as many pc's as possible using Skolelinux.

Nice to know that more installations are on it's way at our nearest
neighbour :-). You can probably forward this answer to?

> I wonder if you know next Knoppix will include software which is
> better than VNC? This means you could have one powerful notebook and
> let's say 4-8 older notebooks. Now, these older notebooks can use
> applications which are installed on the newer notebook remotely via
> 11 MBit wireless connection. I just don't remember the name of that
> software. It works like VNC but it's better. Knoppix news area has
> more. Many schools are hoping they could have flexible use of
> computers. Wireless brings more flexibility.

I don't know if NoMachine (NX-server) will be included in Knoppix 3.6.
Skolelinux/Debian Edu has a dialog with LTSP's Jim McQuillan and
Finn-Arne Johansen and a couple of other persons to get this into
Skolelinux.

That said, there are some limitations on bandwidth anyway. Media rich
applications need more bandwidth compared to text-oriented
applications. This influences us in how we have to thing when using the
LTSP-technology. Half thick diskless client is probably a solution.
This can be "easily done" with LTSP 4.0. Today Skolelinux uses LTSP
3.0.X ...

> Another success is so called 441 from HP. One central unit with four
> screens and keyboards with Mandrake Linux installed suits many little
> schools. 441 is available only in developing countries. I wonder how
> one could build an own 441? I guess there are four videocards etc.

I'm don't know. We know of a couple of HP-persons to ask, and the
debian-edu-list is a good place to start. Why don't join in?
http://lists.debian.org/debian-edu/

> Skolelinux and solutions above goes to show you don't have to use
> that much money in computers and sofware. It is also aesy to update
> those PC's. For example one school near to my home has been using
> LTSP since 1999 without a break.

Take a look of the economics at page 11 in this independent report from
Statskonsult:
http://developer.skolelinux.no/rapporter/statskonsult_2003_24_eng.pdf

- Knut