Re: does your government support Skolelinux?

onsdag 04 august 2004, 07:03, skrev saro3@welho.com:
> I wonder if you get support from your government? If you get support
> is it financial or did government write a statement which says:" Use
> open software...etc.".

From the government we don't get that kind of support, even if some of
the governmental bodies has a lot to say on universal access to
Information and Communication Technology. They often refer to The
Norwegian Board of Technology[1]. The Directorate for Primary and
Secondary Education support Microsoft actively.

[1] http://www.teknologiradet.no/files/7polished_copy.htm

SLX Debian Labs has filed an official complaint[2] to the The Norwegian
Competition Authority with three questions after a speech from Eva
Hildrum Director General, Ministry of Transport and Communications,
Norway at GUADEC 2004.

I've made a summary that shows how The Directorate for Primary and
Secondary Education support Microsoft actively by demand use of
Microsoft products at schools. The Norwegian Competition Authority has
made a thrilling letter[3] to the Directorate, but I've got no time
translating it - and it's in Norwegian. Here is our questions:

- The Directorate for Primary and Secondary Education give away MS
  Windows 2k pro and Win ME pre-installed on reused computer with no
  licences fee. The Directorate has an agreement with a private
  supplier to sell reused computers from public offices to
  schools. The other suppliers of reused computers also get the MS
  Windows-licences with no licence cost. How is it possible for the
  Directorate to give this Microsoft discount?  Other manufacturers
  don't have this possibility.

- We also ask a question on how the national discount agreement with
  530 municipalities and public offices can have a licence cost of 329
  NOK (48 USD) annually, and in the schools 130 NOK (19 USD), that is
  a 60% discount on the national discount. How is it possible to give
  this discounts? The negotiators for the municipalities told us
  that the lowest price on these products was the price they negotiated.
  And suddenly there is a 60% discount added to the products, to the
  same institutions. In Norway the municipalities and city councils owns
  the schools.

- Our last question is about how The Directorate for Primary and
  Secondary Education assume that the schools have a customer
  relationship to Microsoft when doing preparation to national exams
  for the last year pupils.

[2]  Our letter with questions (in Norwegian):
(nb) http://developer.skolelinux.no/brev/konkurranse_gratis_msw2k.html

[3] The question from the The Norwegian Competition Authority to the The
Directorate for Primary and Secondary Education:
(nb) http://developer.skolelinux.no/brev/20040729_k-tilsynet1av2.png
     http://developer.skolelinux.no/brev/20040729_k-tilsynet2av2.png
(nb pdf) http://developer.skolelinux.no/brev/20040730_k-tilsynet2av2.pdf

That said:

SLX Debian Labs was established in the fall 2003. The goal was to give
the work of free and open source software (FOSS) a credible
organisational environment in Norway, working together with free and
open source developers internationally. This in answer to a question
from The Norwegian Ministry of Education and Research. They want to
contribute so that the large voluntary work done by Skolelinux and
others, can continue to the advantage of the schools, providing a
proper framework for following up these efforts. The Skolelinux project
started as a voluntary effort June 2nd 2001. Now Skolelinux is a formal
part of the Customised Debian Distribution[4] known as Debian Edu.

[4] http://people.debian.org/~tille/debian-med/talks/200406_ltk/

So we try to keep our breath ... ;-)

> What I mean is that are you kind of forced to think how to use
> money wisely or did it just happen that we now can enjoy Skolelinux?

The background for our work is a 201 pages preliminary
study/project-plan[5], where 4/5 of the founding came from private
persons or companies. 1/5 was paid for by The Ministry of Education and
Research. The support from the government was political initiated, with
huge help from the "Norwegian Language Union" (Noregs mållag). The
amount was 200.000 NOK (23736 EUR) to the preliminary study (also known
as the project-plan for Skolelinux).

[5] http://developer.skolelinux.no/forprosjekt.html

The money we have is a handled by a foundation, privately founded.
534061 EUR has been put into the SLX Debian Labs from private money.
Skolelinux/Debian Edu are gaining more and more political support every
day, but a lot of public administrations fights back.

Skolelinux/Debian Edu has undergone some heavy evaluation from
independent institutions. One of the report is from Statskonsult[6].
Statskonsult is a state-owned limited company that deals with public
management development.

[6]
http://developer.skolelinux.no/rapporter/statskonsult_2003_24_eng.pdf

We have been nice for 3 years now - explaining, sharing knowledge, and
so on. Now we just ask some question about competition to other parts
of the government that support and execute the ICT-requirements in
education. It seems to me that administrations don't take open
standards, and competition seriously. They has a lot of job to do on
their hand. The organisation which asking the complicated questions are
The Norwegian Competition Authority. Norway has implemented the
strictest competition law in Europa, so their letter[3] should be
interesting. If you are relatively fluent in Swedish, it should be no
problem reading the letter from the Competition Authority in Norwegian.
Unfortunately I can't prioritise to translate this to english.

Sincerely

Knut Yrvin
--
Project manager (cel: +47 908 95 765) Skolelinux Norway and OpenOffice
translation to Norwegian. Office 1: SLX Debian Labs Forskningsparken,