Re: NFS disconnects periodically

Hi Finn-Arne,

Am Mittwoch, 15. Dezember 2004 21:21 schrieb Finn-Arne Johansen:

[Snippet from my own posting]

>> This issue seems to be connected to "Delay in LDAP lookups."
>> http://www.openldap.org/lists/openldap-software/200307/msg00398.html
>
> Just curious - would it help to not use automounting from ldap ?
> and not use netgroups, but hardcode the IP-adresses that are allowed
> to mount over NFS? This will give the ldap server a lot less stress.

Sounds like slapd is mostly occupied with looking up negroups?
If you send some details on how to "hardcode" this, we could try. Also,
we need to test if it might be a kernel issue - as the tjener running
with a different version doesn't crash. Could everybody else, please,
check?

> But we really need to find out why nscd segfaults.

Ack. The stated links says something like malconfigured reverse DNS ...?

> Could it be that there is an error in the config-file for nscd ?

Let me post our version:

# /etc/nscd.conf
# (omitting commented sample lines)
#       logfile                 /var/log/nscd.log
#       threads                 6
#       server-user             nobody
#       debug-level             0

        enable-cache            passwd          yes
        positive-time-to-live   passwd          600
        negative-time-to-live   passwd          20
        suggested-size          passwd          211
        check-files             passwd          yes

        enable-cache            group           yes
        positive-time-to-live   group           3600
        negative-time-to-live   group           60
        suggested-size          group           211
        check-files             group           yes

# !!!!!WARNING!!!!! Host cache is insecure!!! The mechanism in nscd to
# cache hosts will cause your local system to not be able to trust
# forward/reverse lookup checks DO NOT USE THIS if your system relies on
# this sort of security mechanism. Use a caching DNS server instead.
        enable-cache            hosts           no
        positive-time-to-live   hosts           3600
        negative-time-to-live   hosts           20
        suggested-size          hosts           211
        check-files             hosts           yes