Re: joblist for smaller feature localisation for germany

Am Samstag, den 24. Juli hub Andreas Schuldei folgendes in die Tasten:

> * squid-guard preconfigureing and autoupdating

What about dense guardian?
This tool does watch the http-stream, too.

> * network reconfiguration (different IP ranges)

I had a look at our configs, where IPs are used.
It should be rather easy to manage that, by putting some strings line
_NETMASK_ _TJENERIP_ _TERMINALSERVER_ into the raw configs and use e.g.
sed to put in the right values later.

Someone has to build a fronent which asks for
network e.g. 10.0.2.0
netmask e.g. 255.255.254.0 (/23 might also be possible?)
             I would like to make sure, that *every* network has to
	     be at least /23 to make sure not to break any Skolelinux
	     setting.
gateway	e.g. 10.0.2.1  (I'm not sure, if it is usefull to ask this.
                        Otherwise we would not be really flexible.
			A gateway like 10.0.2.2 might be a bad idea,
			but if it is there, we have to avoid trouble...)

broadcast will be auto-generated.

next you have to be asked for the thin-client network.
I think it is enough to only ask for the network and make /24 and
the last IP for the TS non-changeable default.

As I do not know how to build such a frontend, I can't do that :)

> * webmin-ldap-user-simpe (useradmin system): add controls to interface
>   with squid-guard for disabeing internet access for users and groups

> what else requires developer-skills?

As I wrote in a (zero reply) mail before, we need some mechanism to add
maschines to the skolelinux network.
The IMO best way to do that is a webmin interface where you have to
enter all needed stuff
* type of maschine (win-wks, TS, TC, lin-wks)
* MAC
* wanted hostname
* location/room
* optinional IP address (should IMO be set automatically)

This information have to be added to
* DHCP
* DNS (probably not neccessary every time)
* netgroups
* optionally kerberos, if it is a lin-wks or TS, then we also have
  to put a keytab on that host.

I've seen a nice feature to make that easier.
If you want to have control of the DHCP (the germans want that)
build a dhcp-config which only has one free IP and all others are
only given out to registert MACs.
If a unknown maschine is switch one, it get's the free IP and
load a special kernel and scripts-file. The maschine boots an interface,
where you can enter the information named above (MAC should be taken
automagically) and send that info to the server.
On the server has to be an interface where you can select a host,
added to the network and delete or approve the entry.

Ciao
Max
--
	Follow the white penguin.