Re: Q;Resetting Profiles?

Ralf wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> and cheers for your thorough contributions. I, of course, must agree,
> that having generic (non-personal accounts) can only be a provisionary
> situation that _must_ be followed by personal accounts.
>
> To explain our situation: We kept our "old" system as air bag until
> skolelinux runs stable, and plan to migrate all accounts to ldap during
> the summer break. Re-creating personal accounts with Ldap right now
> would mean two asynchrone user systems.
>
> Nevertheless, I am afraid one set of generic accounts must be kept for
> extern users ("Volkshochschule")....
>
> But even with registred users, there might be the situation where
> somebody has screwed up his kde settings and wishes to return to
> default settings. How about this?
>
> Thanks for discussing
> regards
> Ralf

To get an account up'n running again after a mishap like you describes above,
the standard way is to run the kpersonalizer-application. (The wizard that
runs the first time any user logs into KDE.) This can be achieved in two
ways:

1. If the student are present when you get around to do this, you get the
student to log in, click the 'k-button' and select 'run' or 'run command'
from the menu. Then simply enter the command 'kpersonalizer' in the textfield
and click the OK-button. Then the student go trough the wizard setting up the
environment to a working state. (All users are permitted to run this wizard
whenever they want in standard Skolelinux.)

2. Root (or anyone with write-capability to the students setup) may engage the
wizard with hanging the tuple 'FirstLogin=false' to 'FirstLogin=true' in the
file '/skole/tjener/SOME_USERNAME/.kde/share/config/kpersonalizerrc'. This
results in the user gets prompted the setup-wizard the next time he/she logs
into the account. This is the easiest way to get the settings straighten
without loosing the setup of external accounts made in apps like Kmail etc.

As root, in a shell do 'su - USERNAME_OF_MANGLED_HOME'
then issue 'echo "FirstLogin=true" > ~/.kde/share/config/kpersonalizerrc'
(don't forget to exit :)

Then there's allways the not so elegant "solution" becoming user, deleting all
dot-files in the users home, getting a fresh copy from somewhere like
/etc/skel and exit. The downside with this one is that one tends to get angry
users when they discover that all their settings like external mail-accounts,
irc- and web-bookmarks etc are vanished.
- This last one can also be combined with root taking ownership of all
dot-files in the home, leaving user with read-only-trough-group-membership
access. Run from main-server
chown -R root HOME_IN_QUESTION/.??*
chmod -R g-w HOME_IN_QUESTION/.??*
chmod -R o-w HOME_IN_QUESTION/.??*

I recommend starting the wizard when dealing with real accounts :)
(And please do try to get away from the consept of "generic accounts".)

Regards
Gjermund Skogstad