Re: Help Please: KDE refuses login to any client (WS incl.)

Hi there, one of the most common thing I've read about and experienced when users cannot log into kde on the thin client is that the different partitions are full.

If KDE cannot write to the /tmp directory on the thinclient server it cannot log in, what you need to check here is if the /tmp directory is full, you can do that when running the "df -k" command.

if it is /tmp that is full, then you need to remove some files from that directory, (in an erlier version of skolelinux /tmp was using the tmpfs filesystem which stores all fiels in memory,rebooting the server will then clear the /tmp directory completely, but this I do not advice)

if it is not /tmp that is full it can also be the mount that holds the home directories that is full. in an earlier version it was /skole/tjener/home0 or something like that. this mountpoint resides on the file/ldap server.

so if you run "df -k" when logged in to the fileserver (or the thinclient server) you will find out if the "home" mount has bbeen filled up.

if it has been filled up, then there are 2 things you can do.
1: remove files (not very good)
2: increase the size of that partition.

I don't have the reciepe at hand on how to increse the size of that partition, but I know other persons in here do have it...

/Christian

Ralf wrote:
Dear experts,

this is eating my brain! So many things could be solved, but now nobody can use the system any more at all.

This time it is no network problem (ssh login worked from/to any server) nor is it a CPU load issue.

It started like this: About 8 users were able to login from their thin clients. Then repeted tries were necessary until login worked - otherwise after 3 or 4 seconds the login dialog reappeared without any message.

From the teacher's PC (a workstation) I couldn't log in at all. So the
problem seems to be either from tjener or from kde, as there was no error message. If I try to login as root using the RIGHT password, there is a message "no root logins allowed" whicht shows the authentification process is working.

I scanned some files in /var/log for error messages: There was a message like: user "Lehrer" (teacher) -> kde authentification failed / logout Now, is it a ldap problem? Or is the link between kdm and ldap broken? As I didn't do any upgrades or updates when the error startet to occur, maybe there is a chance to reboot the servers and everything is ok. (I am at home now). Otherwise I could try to restore the backup from yesterday tommorrow...

To avoid questions: yes, I did an apt-get upgrade on all servers an on the workstation without success. And the ltspserver is not the tjener.

Thank you for any kind of fast help
Greetings
Ralf