Re: School admin tools....

Am Donnerstag, 25. März 2004 15:14 schrieb Sajith VK:
> 2. FET : School Timetabling
>         http://www.lalescu.ro/liviu/fet/index.html
>         A good timetabling software using genetic algorithm.
>         Debian package not available (?)

Dear Sajiht,

thank you very much for these hints! Of course, we should also boost
migration of the administrational level at schools. As for Germany,
however, there is a law that disallows any physical connection of the
LAN for pupils and that for the administration, as there a too many
sensitive data on the latter. Hence I'd say, such software should
rather be added to a special, administrative edition of skolelinux.

Personally, I am involved into designing our school's schedule. There
are more than 100 teachers and about 50 classes and even more courses
involved. On Redmond OSes, gp-untis by pedav seems to be the state of
the art (runs in wine). Comparisms with FET/possibilities of import
would be very interesting to me.

As for the administrative tool, even within my own country, each state
(Bundesland) has its own tool which is often supplied by the state
itself. The laws, naming etc. differ so much that I couldn't imagine
there was one universal tool for all.

Regards
Ralf.