Re: Not a discussion list?

Hi,

On Wed, 2004-03-03 at 17:32, cobaco wrote:

> > One problem I faces with
> > skolelinux is that its based on Kde, but gnome is
> > suggested in our curriculum.
> Is there a particular reason for that suggestion (if so which)?
1. We had to choose between Gnome/Kde. We cant provide both, because
text book's need to be created and exams need to be condcuted.

2. Gnome is the default for major distribtutions and More persons
are using it.

3. At the time of the decision, Kde didnt support indian language
rendering. But gnome did.(Through pango).

4. Due to fact no3, L10n projects where more active on Gnome.
For example my language, "malayalam" has gnome localised to
a good extent, but for kde, its just started.....

> Skolelinux uses KDE in a large part due to the much more active l10n effort
> in of KDE (KDE 3.2. has complete support for 42 languages and partial
> support for 32 more languages).
>

> Also as Marius pointed KDE worked better for us on thin clients
>
> > (See I didnt used skolelinux yet, there maybe a gnome version too)
> gnome isn't on the install CD, buts it's only an apt-get away
>
> > Also it is knoppix based,(isn't it?)
> > But we use morphix
> > because it is modular. IN all other aspects skolelinux seems
> > to be great....
>
> the livecd (skoleknoppix) is indead knoppix based, the rest of skolelinux is
> standard Debian (almost right now, and we're getting there :)

> > > At OFSET we would have been happy to see other cooperating with us to
> > > produce the next Freeduc-cd but we did not fully succeed in that.
> > > However we are very interested cooperating with Skolelinux because it
> > > bring a complementary answer to Freeduc-cd.
>
> we currently have 4 at least slightly different setups:
> - - skolelinux workstation (non-livecd)
> - - freeeduc (knoppix based?)
> - - skoleknoppix (knoppix based)
> - - your livecd (does it have a name yet?) (morphix based)
>
> this will hopefully lead to the following in time:
> 1. the 3 livecd efforts cooperating/merging so as to avoid dupplication of
> work (how to get there, and wether to make it knoppix or morphix based, is
> off course up the people involved in all three efforts to discuss).
> 2. that environment provided by the livecd and that provided by the
> workstation/standalone profiles should converge so they are the
> 	-> first step here is I think comparing the provided software, to find out
>              what software is available in Skolelinux/freeeduc/yourCD that's
>             missing from the others
The aim for our project was not to make best education GNU/Linux,
but to make debian GNU/Linux and educational Free softwares
available for our schools. We find morphix as the best way to
install Debian GNU/Linux. But then we thought our work should
reach others too. We are planning to host this CD....
	We wish to cooperate with other groups with the same
aim. Skolelinux should become defacto standard for "Freesoftware
in education". In near future, we wish to make our distribution
"skolelinux based"...., which will be a customisation of skolelinux
(live cd?) to our curriculum and cultural symbols.

This way, i think we dont need to bother about ltsp settings,
other server settings etc, which will be already available in
skolelinux.

--
"Freedom Matters"
Sajith VK