Umlaut problems in filenames when going from samba2 to samba3

Feel free to answer in German :-)

I'm changing a school that previously used a 3 year old Debian server
running Samba 2.x over to Skolelinux, using Samba 3.0.14, and I have
1 problem, and 3 questions:
My problems is that the filenames do not have the German umlauts (öäü)
or the Norwegian special characthers (øæå). I have about 8000 such
files, the teachers say that they have square signs, underscores and
other "strange" stuff instead of umlauts and specially Norwegian
characters.

My questions:
1. What should I use in smb.conf for the values
unix charset =
DOS charset =

2. What should actually the LOCALES be?

3. I've found a program that supposedly will help me,
http://j3e.de/linux/convmv/
I've tried different combinations of
convmv -f cp850 -t iso8859-1
convmv -f cp850 -t utf8
But even if the umlauts are again visible from linux, they look strange
on windows. Anyone having used this program before?

Oh, another problem is that they are using this system very heavily 24
hours a day (lots of vpn connections), so I can't just restart Samba
whenever I like to...

Klaus
--
67E61D18B2C44F8A3DA35C6D849F9F5F 26FA477D