Re: Umlaut problems in filenames when going from samba2 to samba3

On Fre, 03 Mär 2006, Klaus Ade Johnstad wrote:

> I'm changing a school that previously used a 3 year old Debian server
> running Samba 2.x over to Skolelinux, using Samba 3.0.14, and I have
> 1 problem, and 3 questions:
> My problems is that the filenames do not have the German umlauts (öäü)
> or the Norwegian special characthers (øæå). I have about 8000 such
> files, the teachers say that they have square signs, underscores and
> other "strange" stuff instead of umlauts and specially Norwegian
> characters.
>
> My questions:
> 1. What should I use in smb.conf for the values
> unix charset =
> DOS charset =

Do not set or unset this values.
make sure you use an kernel with UTF8 support, make sure your filesystem
stores the filenames in UTF8 (you can force the charset with the option
iocharset when mounting)

> 2. What should actually the LOCALES be?
if the filesystems stores the names in utf8 the locales should not matter.

> 3. I've found a program that supposedly will help me,
> http://j3e.de/linux/convmv/
> I've tried different combinations of
> convmv -f cp850 -t iso8859-1
> convmv -f cp850 -t utf8
> But even if the umlauts are again visible from linux, they look strange
> on windows. Anyone having used this program before?
> Oh, another problem is that they are using this system very heavily 24
> hours a day (lots of vpn connections), so I can't just restart Samba
> whenever I like to...

samba tells windows which charset to use, so use utf8 on samba side, and your
on the save side..

IMHO this describes your problem well:
http://us4.samba.org/samba/docs/man/Samba-HOWTO-Collection/unicode.html

--