Re: [Debian-NYC] Thoughts on Eventbrite.

On Fri, 18 Feb 2011 15:06:14 -0500, Brian Gupta <brian.gupta@brandorr.com> wrote:

snipity snip...

> yet others feel that large companies can't be trusted.

You forgot the most important reason (at least to this list) of all,
the software aint free.

> That said, I would still like to find an alternative to these tools
> that is Free Software and can be self hosted, if anyone knows of
> anything.

I understand where you are coming from Brian, I think its a worthy
question to ask what the free software alternative might be... however
its not clear what exactly the specifications are, they probably are
obvious if you familiar with eventbrite or meetup I guess?

I think that the response so far has been to keep it simple, that we
probably don't need some over-engineered system that does all kinds of
neato stuff. Sometimes we need to take a poll, and maybe sometimes we
need to have a headcount of who is coming, that seems pretty easy to
do with what we got already.