Re: [Debian-NYC] debugging network slowness

And there were no times listed either....???

On Fri, Dec 3, 2010 at 7:53 PM, steve beltzer <stevebeltzer@gmail.com> wrote:
Sorry, I am going blind staring into this netbook screen.  Here is the latest:

steve@francisco:~$ time printf 'GET / HTTP/1.1\nHost: nytimes.com\n\n'|nc 199.239.136.200 80
HTTP/1.1 301 Moved Permanently
Server: Sun-ONE-Web-Server/6.1
Date: Sat, 04 Dec 2010 00:49:00 GMT

Location: http://www.nytimes.com/
nnCoection: close

<HTML><HEAD><TITLE>Moved Permanently</TITLE></HEAD>
<BODY><H1>Moved Permanently</H1>
An error has occurred.
</BODY></HTML>

BUT  I didn't get a prompt back at the end!?

Steve

On Fri, Dec 3, 2010 at 7:42 PM, Daniel Kahn Gillmor <dkg@fifthhorseman.net> wrote:
On 12/03/2010 07:36 PM, steve beltzer wrote:
> Well sort of makes sense, I need to study and review this
>
> OK here is what I got:
>
> steve@francisco:~$ time printf 'GET / HTTP/1.1\nHost: nytimes.com\n\n'|\
>> nc 199.239.136.200.80
> 199.239.136.200.80: forward host lookup failed: Unknown host
>
> real    0m0.341s
> user    0m0.012s
> sys    0m0.000s
> steve@francisco:~$
>
> Does this mean there is a problem with port 80?

It looks to me like you added an extra dot in between the two arguments
to nc.  remember, nc takes two arguments: an address and a TCP port.
Can you try that again?

Computers are very stupid, very methodical, and very deferential -- they
will try to do *exactly* what you tell them to do.  So you have to be
very specific about what you want them to do, and that means being
careful with the details :)

       --dkg