Re: [Debian-NYC] debugging network slowness [was: Thanks for yesterday!]

On 12/03/2010 04:24 PM, steve beltzer wrote:
> Yes I forgot something in the address  -  this should be better:
>
> steve@francisco:~$ time dig +short @208.59.247.45 nytimes.com
> 199.239.136.200
>
> real    0m0.035s
> user    0m0.024s
> sys    0m0.000s
> steve@francisco:~$
>
>> steve@francisco:~$ time dig +short @192.168.2.1 nytimes.com
>> 199.239.136.200
>>
>> real    0m0.020s
>> user    0m0.004s
>> sys    0m0.012s
>> steve@francisco:~$

curiouser and curiouser...

i'm now very perplexed that wget would take 15 seconds to resolve the
domain names but a direct lookup with dig takes only a fraction of a second.

dig talks directly to the nameservers by sending and receiving UDP
packets, but wget presumably uses libc's gethostbyname() resolution,
which in turn relies on the system's name service switch.

Could something be amiss with the libc resolver or the name service
switch?  can you show me host configuration of your system's name
service switch?

   grep '^hosts:' /etc/nsswitch.conf

here's mine:

0 dkg@pip:~$ grep '^hosts:' /etc/nsswitch.conf
hosts:          files mdns4_minimal [NOTFOUND=return] dns mdns4
0 dkg@pip:~$

And can you try this command to test the speed of the resolver via perl?

0 dkg@pip:~$ time perl -e 'gethostbyname("nytimes.com");'

real	0m0.007s
user	0m0.000s
sys	0m0.004s
0 dkg@pip:~$

(you should probably run the perl command twice;  if the results vary,
report the second run.  This will avoid measuring delays due to loading
perl and its libraries from the disk, because the second time they will
already be cached in RAM)

still puzzled,

	--dkg