Re: [Debian-NYC] Thanks for yesterday!

Hi Daniel,,

Just took me 2 minutes 15 seconds to load nytimes.com via IceWeasel and wireless.

the video runs smoothly when downloaded from nytimes.com though...

1 minute and 45 seconds to load nytimes.com with epiphany and wireless

2 minutes 10 seconds with loading nytimes.com via IceWeasel with cable connection

1 minute 50 seconds with epiphany and cable connection....

Ideas?

Steve

On Thu, Dec 2, 2010 at 12:04 PM, Daniel Kahn Gillmor <dkg@fifthhorseman.net> wrote:
Hi Steve--

On 12/02/2010 09:37 AM, steve beltzer wrote:
> It was a good time and I managed to get Squeeze up and running with a lot of
> help!

great, glad you made it out yesterday!

> However what I noticed at Eyebeam and what I thought was just a slow
> wireless connection there is actually not.   Ice Weasel is running VERY
> slowly..   When I boot in Windows 7 my internet browsing is up to normal
> speed running Firefox.

Could you characterize "very slowly" more specifically?  for example,
pick a particular web site and measure the time it takes to load.

Also, could you try with another web browser (like epiphany, which
should be pre-installed with a stock debian desktop) on the same page?

If both browsers seem equally slow, another thing worth looking at would
be the choice of network uplink -- if you're seeing slowness when
connected to your local wireless (even though it's fast under another
OS), can you try the same thing again connected to a wired connection?
That would help to rule out network driver flakiness as a source of delay.

hth,

       --dkg