Re: [Debian-NYC] debugging network slowness [was: Thanks for yesterday!]

Hi Steve--

On 12/03/2010 02:35 PM, steve beltzer wrote:
> OK reporting back to you from Windows 7:
>    DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.2.1
>                                        208.59.247.45
>                                        208.59.247.46

> and the DNS info from Debian  :
> nameserver 192.168.2.1
> nameserver 208.59.247.45
> nameserver 208.59.247.46
>
> So both are the same

yep.

> And now for the time info:
>
> time dig tshort @208.59.247.45 nytimes.com 199.239.136.200
>
> ( cut and pasted the relevant info I hope )

When cutting and pasting transcripts from the shell, it's useful to show
the leading prompt, the command you ran, the full output from the
command, and the trailing prompt.  For a series of commands like this,
you don't need to interleave it with english asides; the transcript will
speak for itself.

You might be interested in these suggestions for future troubleshooting
like this:

  https://support.mayfirst.org/wiki/terminal_transcripts

(feel free to edit and add your own suggestions!)

so i'm not entirely sure i'm reading your transcript right; it looks
like you ran:

   time dig tshort @208.59.247.45 nytimes.com 199.239.136.200

but i had suggested that you run:

   time dig +short @208.59.247.45 nytimes.com

( +short is quite different from tshort, and the extra IP address you
added to the command appears to be actually the output of the command i
had run )

Also, i didn't see any timing or queries against the first IP address
you had listed as a resolver for both systems: 192.168.2.1.

Can you try again?

	--dkg