Re: [Debian-NYC] [Fwd: DebConf10 pre-proposal: New York City]

On Mon, Aug 11, 2008 at 08:34:32PM -0400, Micah Anderson wrote:
> * Ron Guerin <ron@vnetworx.net> [2008-08-11 17:17-0400]:
> > Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:

> >> The camps are 1-3 days, so short.  The Poly campus is pretty dead in
> >> summer, so two weeks should be possible. But it would also be good to
> >> mix it up a bit, NYC is a big place.  So perhaps the camp could be at
> >> one location, and the conf at another.
> >>
> >> Also, there is a hacklab 5 minutes away from Poly:
> >> http://www.nycresistor.com/
> >
> > Google has made their facilities in Chelsea available for community
> > events in the past, without charge.  This of course is nowhere near
> > Poly, but would be easy on the budget.
>
> Community events meaning one-time evening events, I gather?
>
> Debconf is a week plus long hack-fest, with people awake at all hours of
> the night doing things in whatever hacklab there is. I cannot imagine us
> doing anything but wearing out our welcome at any regular place of
> business right quick. Mixing it up can be good, but it can be bad for a
> number of reasons. Logistically, having multiple setups is not good, as
> it typically takes some time to get things prepared beforehand, but
> having disparate locations that are unconnected, or require significant
> travel between venues has been a significant disadvantage of debconfs
> past.
>
> There needs to be a central location that doesn't change that people can
> be at all hours of the night for over a week straight without pissing
> people off.
>
> micah

I attended 'The Last Hope' in NYC and it had 24/7 action on 2 floors of
the hotel. The lower area had a group area for sleeping, net terminals,
user group booths, book sellers, and etc. The top floor had 4 rooms for
various lectures.  Not sure about the arraingment for the floors but its
in a hotel, so some attendees stayed there. There is food venues in the
hotel as well as many in the area. It was near a major subway stop, so
travel to/fro to there locations seems ok.
Contact the 2600 folks for more details.
-K

|_______  Unless I ask to be CCd, assume I am subscribed _______|