Re: [Debian-NYC] [Fwd: DebConf10 pre-proposal: New York City]

On Aug 11, 2008, at 7:01 PM, Micah Anderson wrote:

> * Hans-Christoph Steiner <hans@eds.org> [2008-08-11 15:31-0400]:
>
>> The last Podcamp NYC was at Poly, about 250 signed up, with a peak of
>> 160ish at once.  The total Podcamp paid Poly was about $3k.  Compare
>> that to the previous year in a big hotel's conference center: $30k.
>> Barcamp NYC was just there, it had 24/7 access to one 10m x 20m room
>> with 9 projectors, and 9am-11pm access to the rest of the spaces.  I
>> think the budget for Poly was $2k.  Poly just merged with NYU, and
>> NYU is a money-making machine, so that might change.  Hopefully not.

> Can you give an idea of how long these events lasted for? Debconf is
> typically just shy of 2 weeks, with a smaller debcamp before-hand,
> and a
> larger 1 week event as the main attraction.

The camps are 1-3 days, so short.  The Poly campus is pretty dead in
summer, so two weeks should be possible. But it would also be good to
mix it up a bit, NYC is a big place.  So perhaps the camp could be at
one location, and the conf at another.

Also, there is a hacklab 5 minutes away from Poly:
http://www.nycresistor.com/

.hc