Re: [Debian-NYC] DebConf10 pre-proposal: New York City

On Mon, Aug 11, 2008 at 04:19:39PM -0400, David Moreno wrote:
> I thought tomorrow's meeting was not exactly for making a proper formal
> discussion. I think it was more intended for people to get an idea on
> what other MIGHT present formally later on, when a proper deadline by
> the DebConf cabal was announced. Can you please clarify, Jimmy?

Nobody here at the conference seems to be sure what the purpose is.
However, it's an equivalent event to the one last year where Extremadura
was the only reasonable DC9 bid presented, so that basically decided it.
The year before, for DC7, Edinburgh didn't beat out Bosnia for months,
where there were things like in-person visits, DPL politics, and formal
ranking procedures with points and such. Basically they'll probably take
a bid if it's the only sufficiently prepared one and people can live
with it, and the process will probably continue otherwise. Most likely
the only bids that will get serious consideration will be NYC and
Venezuela, and I have no idea whether they're organized or not. So we
could win the bid tomorrow or we could not.

As for a formal deadline announcement, I have no idea what the plans
are, but I am guessing they intended anyone seriously considering a bid
to attend the DebConf10 session at this year's DebConf and make some
sort of presentation. They did at least make a formal call for location
proposals on August 1.

- Jimmy Kaplowitz
jimmy@debian.org