Re: [Debian-NYC] This List

Can we do dinner beforehand for those of us who aren't of the drinking age or inclination?
My vote is for the 21st.
Moria
On Jan 28, 2008, at 4:42 PM, Keith O'Brien wrote:

Totally Agree.

Lets do some Drinks in Feb. 7th or 21st anyone?

On Jan 28, 2008 12:25 PM, Hans-Christoph Steiner <hans@eds.org> wrote:

Hear, hear!

.hc

On Jan 28, 2008, at 12:01 AM, Lee Azzarello wrote:

> Yawn.
>
> When are we meeting for beers again? The last party was a lot of fun.
>
> -lee
>
> On Jan 27, 2008, at 7:51 PM, Jay Sulzberger wrote:
>

>> On Sun, 27 Jan 2008, Benj. Mako Hill <mako@atdot.cc> wrote:
>>
>>> <quote who="Jay Sulzberger" date="Sun, Jan 27, 2008 at 05:03:40PM
>>> -0500">
>>>
>>> I agree. It's important. I support this event and if I were in
>>> town I
>>> would probably go. As I'm sure you know, I have gone to many events
>>> you've advertised before.

>>> It's not on topic for this list. This is a list for Debian specific
>>> event coordination. Everyone who has followed up so far agrees.

>>> Then you should encourage those Debian folks that are interested
>>> to sign
>>> up on a more general announcement list (maybe LYNX?) where these
>>> messages will be on topic. I signed up on several more general
>>> lists and
>>> thought it was useful.
>>
>> Thanks, Mako!
>>

>>> I support your causes Jay. I *really* do. But cross-posting every
>>> event
>>> everywhere that it might be even tangentially related annoys people,
>>> keeps them from compartmentalizing and organizing their incoming
>>> emails
>>> properly, and might even do you causes more harm than good.
>>
>> I know we are on the same side.
>>

>>> Please try to respect other peoples ideas of on-topic and off-topic,
>>> even if you don't agree with them. If you are making up 90% of the
>>> traffic on a list without even contextualizing your message for the
>>> community you are speaking to, your actions are going to be seen as
>>> spamming and ultimately treated accordingly.
>>
>> Please forgive me for not presenting my disagreements with the,
>> mostly implicit, argument you here begin to lay out.  The issue
>> is minor, and, I think, not worth your time nor mine to discuss
>> it further here.
>>

>>> I think your causes are too important to suffer that fate. Please
>>> hold
>>> off sending non-Debian related announcements to this list.
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>> Mako
>>
>> Ah, thanks for kind word!
>>
>> Mako, if you want me to not send certain VERY USEFUL AND
>> IMPORTANT NOTICES to this list, I will not send them any
>> more.
>>
>> NEW YORK CITY DEBIAN TRIBESFOLK OF THE SOCIAL TENDENCY!
>> SIGN UP NOW FOR MORE FREE SOFTWARE AND ALLIED NOTICES!
>>
>> To sign up for the LXNY announcements list, send an email to
>> secretary@lxny.org, with subject line "SUBSCIRBE!" or other
>> traditional Usenet greeting, and I will put your address on the
>> mailing list.  The list is low volume, and mainly consists of
>> re-sent notices of free software events, and events that might be
>> of interest to free software folk.  Often the notices are late.
>>
>> oo--JS.

> [...]

----

All mankind is of one author, and is one volume; when one man dies,
one chapter is not torn out of the book, but translated into a better
language; and every chapter must be so translated.... -John Donne