Re: Call for Venue for hosting DebConf 2021 or 22

Dear Raju,

On Fri, Mar 22, 2019 at 04:46:01AM +0530, rajudev wrote:
> We are looking for venue's capable of managing a large gathering of
> Debian Developer's, Maintainers, Contributors in general.
>
> You can help us in finding the venue in any way possible. If you are a
> student/Teacher or in an Academic position, you can approach your
> college authorities with a document that we will be sharing soon as a
> follow up to this mail.
>
> If are in contact with any other institutions who can probably host it
> or could be interested into hosting a DebConf try contacting them and
> getting POC's for further interaction.
>
> The institutions/organizations who have hosted Mini Debian Conferences or DebUtsav's
> previously can also convey there interest in hosting a DebConf. It would
> be easier to manage operations in such institutions as we would already
> be having POC's in such organizations.

I am a Debian Developer and a faculty at IIT Bombay. We have had 2-day
Debian events in the past. My colleague has also run this show:

https://events.drupal.org/asia2016

> Also we are looking for places which are not in major cities. If we can
> find a venue in states like Himachal Pradesh, Uttarakhand, or in the North Eastern
> states, that would be great as well. I understand the fact in this case
> that it would be hard to manage an event in such as place as the local
> team presence might be less to none.

We won't fit this bill. But we can host people of the numbers that you
talk about.

> Here are some of the typical requirements for a DebConf City/Venue .
>
>  1. Should Have one or multiple Auditoriums, having seating capacity of
>  at least 500 people at once.

Check.

>  2. Should have multiple smaller Audi's or classrooms adjacent/near to
>  the Auditorium for other parallel tracks at the conference.

Check.

>  3. If it has a hostel well equipped with Air Conditioners to be able to
>  accommodate around 300 to 300 people, that would be great. Or if there
>  are any good hotels very near to the venue. That would do as well.

This is something I'll look into. Hotels are expensive, but hostels in
and around campus should be available.

>  4. During DebConf we organize day trips for the Attendees to visit
>  nearby places or have experiences at climbing,cycling, hiking etc. So
>  if the venue has such expeditions nearby, that would be a good addition
>  as well.

Mumbai darshan plus whatever people want.

>  5. The Venue should be reasonably reachable via good public transport.
>  Should be reachable easily from an airport. Not necessarily the Major
>  international airports, could be domestic airports as well.
>  6. Presence of a local team residing/present near the venue is great to
>  have

Check. We are 7 km from the International Airport.

> There are many more requirements that could be listed, but these are
> sufficient for now to give you an idea. I'll add more when I remember.
> If you think I have missed something, please add to it.
>
> One of the important things to consider for the Host City or venue is
> weather. Unlike most countries we have varying weather in different
> regions of the country. DebConf is usually hosted in the months of July
> or August. But in those months in India the weather is at extremes in
> most regions. We could push the months for hosting DebConf from May to
> September. The host city should not be having extreme weather conditions
> during the DebConf times, be it hot summer or heavy rains.
>
> Looking forward for expression of interests in hosting the venue from
> multiple places.

I am in contact with other interested folks in the Mumbai and Pune
area. We will continue this discussion to see if IITB can serve as a
suitable destination.

Thanks.

Kumar

--
I expect that noone has objections.  However, if I'd only add these entries
to the list because `I think it's the right thing to do', I'd get a lot of