Re: [PLUG] Debconf 20/21 in India

at bottom :-

On 06/08/2018, Skool!lookS <look.kool@guruvision.com> wrote:
> Affraid of argument?
>
> Feel free to express...
>
> Origin of name Debian. ..  and what not?
>
> I think it will be better to not hold conference in India if comfort
> becomes a priority and that too at Company's Dime..
>
> We just hold onto our "Nickel", till "Cent" prefers to descend from Cloud 9.

Guru,

It's the companies who sponsor and make money on Debian. Why do you
think the companies who sponsor debconf shell so much money on Debian
?

https://debconf18.debconf.org/

See the list of sponsors.

https://media.debconf.org/dc18/fundraising/debconf18_sponsorship_brochure_en.pdf

Also then what would say of nullcon India and other such conferences.

https://nullcon.net/website/

https://nullcon.net/website/register.php

It's up to the people who want to have the conference to put in
efforts or not, not you.

There are dozens of conferences round the year which use similar models.

Hope Conference US sells tickets for the conference

https://hope.net/

https://store.2600.com/products/tickets-to-the-circle-of-hope?variant=5063506821157

although it was in bad news for not enforcing its own CoC but that's a
different matter altogether.

What needs to be understood is there is no 'company' behind Debian to
foot the bill. It's a volunteer-based organization. Companies who
benefit from Debian continue to sponsor the conferences and those who
cannot send their people as corporate attendees.

One point to note is Debian does sponsor people who have skills, show
commitment and works towards making Debian better which includes
footing fully or partially their food, travel and stay at the local
dorm.

I am guessing you have no issues with ruby conference asking for
sponsorship money and making money on tickets, only Debian ?

https://www.rubyconfindia.org/pdf/RCI19SponsorshipProspectus.pdf

https://www.townscript.com/e/rci19/booking

I could give dozens of examples and if you put in the hard work you
probably would get them all as well.

Give me an argument worth fighting for, mate.