Re: Welcome Rahul (was Re: New debian package maintainers - Sudeesh and Sagar)

Quoting Pirate Praveen (2016-02-11 15:16:58)
> On 2016, ഫെബ്രുവരി 11 5:10:49 PM IST, Jonas Smedegaard <dr@jones.dk> wrote:
>> Quoting Pirate Praveen (2016-02-10 17:44:34)
>>> Rahul's package (ruby-fog-aliyun) just got accepted.
>>>
>>> Join us on debian-in@conference.siacs.eu xmpp room for the party!
>>
>>...or you could all join this list instead of forking the community!
>
> All of us are here already and new people are invited to the list.

Great!

> A real time chat != mailing list.

Right, my fault - sorry to mix topics!

> As for IRC vs XMPP, mobile support for IRC can't match that of XMPP.

True, but technical features are far less important than community.

> You cannot force people to use a computer all the time.

I am not forcing anyone to do anything here, only encouraging -
insistingly - to join existing community, not fork a new one.

> XMPP is a Free Standard and more decentralized.

XMPP _servers_ are more decentralized, yes.

> We want to use and promote it for everyday use and being online on
> Debian India via XMPP is much more easier than adding another layer of
> IRC.

You confuse matters here: It is *not* easier to setup decentralized XMPP
servers - I believe your current MUC runs on a single host which is
*less* decentralized than the "bad" irc.

True, offline-buffering can be offered server-side for XMPP and not for
irc - which brings a slight benefit, but with that big loss of needing
the community to shift over.

> Most of the discussions are mentoring newbies and those are already
> documented.

So discussions like "how to best setup an APT proxy?" and "how to build
in clean environment?" are fine to discuss in a vacuum?  Please
elaborate!

 - Jonas