Re: Updates

in-line :-

On 9/3/14, Kartik Mistry <kartik.mistry@gmail.com> wrote:

<snipped>

> 1. If we want to keep MiniDebConf name, please please - Debian talks
> only. There can be lots of things can be done like,
> a. Debian Install Party,
> b. Debian bug squashing,
> c. Debian hackfest.

Hi all,
I take an evening out and all hell breaks loose.

@Kartik, Do you think I have not tried to ask if we can have an
install party, or have debian bug squashing ? I have and while the
response is somewhat positive I haven't got 100% assurance as these
are students. I even shared with them some web resources about how to
set up a debian mirror but with the strikes, exams and other things
I'm not aware of, they're doing what they can. I can't just push them.
What I can do is just sort of motivate them and see if some way I can
help them out. I'm going a day before just to see if things can be
bettered or if they are stuck in some way, even though I don't know
how much of help I would be after three days of traveling but still
would attempt.

The only thing I haven't tried from the above Debian hackfest as for
this to happen, we need somebody who is well-versed in a topic and
leading it.

> 2. Please finalize letters for Jaldhar Vyas. It is important.

I have asked Aishwarya few days ago, she's trying to get something
done, I haven't much clue as to what the issue is. Jaldhar had shared
that he would make some sort of letterhead template or something but
heard nothing after that (whether he was kidding or was dead serious
is not known.)

> 3. Less mails, more work.

There is 2-5 times more messaging, phone calls happening than mails.
Being remote I am doing what I can. Pavi is volunteering anyway he can
(even though he is germany) and same is the case with Praveen. The
thing is we are not boots on the ground so have to fall-back on the
people who are supposed to be doing things. We can just guide and
advise them.

> Since, I'm not volunteer or in org committee, I can't comment much.
>
> My appearance at MiniDebCof depends on #1, #2 and travel time.

We are trying to have both 1. and 2. and you need to have some
patience. In fact, we all need to.

Let's leave debconf for the moment and come back to Debian. Debian
claims to be an 'Universal Operating System'. When you say Universal
you are saying that it doesn't claim to be for one specific group of
people, type, gender, sociology etc.

It seems tricky to me to say what is Debian and what is not. Would you
say iceweasel is an internal part of Debian or an external ? Or what
about GNOME, KDE, XFCE, Enlightenment or the myriad dozen desktop
environments which make up Debian ?

I have read and seen pictures of people of OPW (Outreach Programme for
Women) attending debconf and talking and sharing about about OPW . Is
that internal or external to debconf ?

My aim of taking those names is just to share that what attracted to
me to Debian was its inclusiveness. There are many others free
software distributions who drive and set their own agenda but none of
them claim to be 'The Universal Operating System' . Talking about
'being Universal Operating System' and having a diversity statement
just doesn't make Debian, having a community around who love it, are
passionate about it and are able to germinate the same seed of passion
in other people around them