Re: Installing Debian from one hard-disk to another hard-disk.

in-line :-

On 8/25/14, sooraj kenoth <soorajkenoth@gmail.com> wrote:

>> Why are you sharing etch  release documentation. Are you running
>> Debian Etch is version 4.0 way out of support infrastructure (released
>> 2007 - official support ended 2010).
>
> That was the only document I could find.

Hi Sooraj,
Documentation for the last stable release is always at
https://www.debian.org/releases/stable/installmanual .

You have to search a hardware architecture and you are good to go. As
can be seen from the listing itself, either of the first two is what
you have. So select one and you have the documentation for the
architecture. https://www.debian.org/releases/stable/installmanual

> I just want to run the Debian/Ubuntu installer from existing
> installation without remastering it, or without converting it to a
> live disk image.
>
> Here I have a GNU/Linux installation. I am looking for an installer
> which can be run as an application as any other application, but with
> root privilege, to do a linux installation to an another drive.
>
> I simply tried it using ubiquity. During the installation it will
> return an error message as it failed to find CD/DVD Rom. What I
> understood is, it will try to load some files from CD/DVD. I want load
> the same/similar file from hard-disk instead of loading it from
> CD/DVD. I think these files are vmlinuz and initrd.gz.
>

> --
> Regards
> Sooraj Kenoth
> "I am Being the Change I Wish to See in the World"

Ubiquity is a good tool for Ubuntu installations, similar software in
debian is debian-installer. I have a question for you :-

a. Are you just planning to migrate to a new disk the same version of
everything or is there going to be a change ?

For e.g. if you were running Debian Squeeze (6.0) and on the new disk
you want to run Debian Wheezy (7.0) .

the most straight-forward IMHO is to do just use the net-install to
have the minimum install with unique hostname, UUID, GRUB and whatever
else is needed to ensure that you know that this is a new and
different installation.

Even if you were doing the same release Wheezy (7.0) to new disk (7.0)
I would recommend the same procedure.

Now if it's the former (7.0 - 7.0) then quite a bit of work is already
done. You already have a backup of all the packages that you have on
the existing system at /var/cache/apt/archives so what you have to do
is just take that whole bunch of .deb files and just install it your
system.

Configuration files are a tricky matter though. I read everybody's
replies and do wish that Ritesh had extrapolated a bit more about
abstraction as I do end up modifying the configurations whole lot of
packages even without realizing.

The moment I say, I want to use this spell-checker in this application
I am modifying it for my purposes and it does end up as .conf or
configuration files somewhere, most probably .config but as xdg-base
base-directory spec. is not still fully used by all 100% of packages
http://standards.freedesktop.org/basedir-spec/basedir-spec-latest.html
it really is hard to know.

Also I have seen the .config files change (as in the format, although
do appreciate the fact that most of the time packages and package
maintainers do ensure that people know what changes are coming either
via chanhttp://standards.freedesktop.org/basedir-spec/basedir-spec-latest.htmlgelog.Debian.gz
or NEWS.gz and can ensure that those changes are reflected in the
.config files to be made by the user her/imself to be
forward-compatible as well if needed.)

As I haven't used any of the tools as mentioned in, wouldn't be able
to know how good or bad they are in the actual implementation and of
course each tool has it own eccentricities as well :)