Re: Installing Debian from one hard-disk to another hard-disk.

at bottom :-

On 8/25/14, sooraj kenoth <soorajkenoth@gmail.com> wrote:
> I have a completely customised Debian and ubuntu installation(Normal
> installation) in my external hard-disk. I can add or remove or update
> the packages from anywhere I have an internet connection.
>
> Now I want to install the same system to another I want to by using
> the installer. I can I do this?timate me the position/credit the due interest to my account.On behalf of Mrs. Veena C. Agarwal.-- Regards, Shirish Agarwal शिरीष अग्रवाल My quote
>
> I couldn't understand the following links:-
>
> https://www.debian.org/releases/etch/i386/ch05s01.html.en
> https://www.debian.org/releases/etch/i386/ch04s05.html.en
>
> --
> Regards
> Sooraj Kenoth
> "I am Being the Change I Wish to See in the World"

Hi Sooraj,
Why are you sharing etch  release documentation. Are you running
Debian Etch is version 4.0 way out of support infrastructure (released
2007 - official support ended 2010).

The two links that you have shared are about two distinct boot-loaders
LILO and GRUB. You can use only one of the two boot-loaders to boot
your system. Most people (including me) like grub because it's
somewhat easier to learn the syntax of grub.cfg

What little I was able to garner from your query, it seems you want to
clone the system. I would urge you to look at these before moving
ahead with that project :-
grub config files
https://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/2865/moving-linux-install-to-a-new-computer

http://serverfault.com/questions/182647/clone-ubuntu-system/

The problem (or not) is that these ways the installation would inherit
all the old configurations as well which might or might not be
beneficial in all cases.

If you want the same package list and not the old configs. then having
a custom preseed file and output of dpkg -L copied to a .txt file
should do the trick.

I am sure that the other worthies on the list would be able to help
you out more as well.