Re: Installing Debian from one hard-disk to another hard-disk.

Replicating or transferring an installation from one hdd to another is needed when you have customized your Debian over the years and don't want to go through the process again and again.

The first thing to keep in mind is that you should keep your packages least custom modified. Also try to use abstraction as much as possible. For example, try not to hard code any hw specific stuff in any packages.

If your current primary disk is bootable to the new machine (eg. over USB), then it is just a simple matter of rsync-ing everything and install grub on the new device. Be sure to chroot into it to verify any final bits.
In cases of UEFI, things get more painful. Also, depending on how complex a stack you've built, things may vary. For example, I use block encryption (dm-crypt). On top of it I use root and swap as LVs. Thus in my case, I need to ensure that no application I use is hardcoded beneath the file system layer. Otherwise it asks for trouble.

PS: I just, yesterday, finished migrating my setup to a new laptop with UEFI. I must thank the Debian install team for a) Creating awesome UEFI support. b) Simplifying the process of creating a USB Installer. It is just a matter of dd-ing the iso to the flash device. Though I did run into a challenge to find a dd port for Windows, luckily my Raspberry Pi came to the rescue.

On Mon, Aug 25, 2014 at 7:21 PM, sooraj kenoth <soorajkenoth@gmail.com> wrote:

> Why are you sharing etch  release documentation. Are you running
> Debian Etch is version 4.0 way out of support infrastructure (released
> 2007 - official support ended 2010).

That was the only document I could find.

I just want to run the Debian/Ubuntu installer from existing
installation without remastering it, or without converting it to a
live disk image.

Here I have a GNU/Linux installation. I am looking for an installer
which can be run as an application as any other application, but with
root privilege, to do a linux installation to an another drive.

I simply tried it using ubiquity. During the installation it will
return an error message as it failed to find CD/DVD Rom. What I
understood is, it will try to load some files from CD/DVD. I want load
the same/similar file from hard-disk instead of loading it from
CD/DVD. I think these files are vmlinuz and initrd.gz.

--
Regards
Sooraj Kenoth